Hello hello hello!!! It’s about to be July, and I am wondering how we made it past the half way mark for the year already? Summer hasn’t arrived in Southern California yet so while everyone else is out in shorts, I’m curled up in a sweatshirt and jeans, which feels a bit odd. But with finals being over(woohoo), I get a small break until Autumn semester which means, ALL THE BOOKS!! My poor bank account is probably thinking ” GURL WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”, and I’m like ” What I always do? More books please!!” But then the Arc’s come in and before I know it, I am buried under my TBR once again. Oh the humanity!! I’ve also started using my Kindle again and buying a few e-books here and there (WHAT?!?!?). I know but books are too heavy to carry, so they live at home for now. Ok done rambling, let’s get to the reason y’all are here:
People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges by Jenn Man (e-book Essay collection) I have never been so excited for an essay collection in my life!! YASSS!!
- Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans (E-book, Christian Nonfiction)
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik (E-book, Fantasy)
- The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker (Nonfiction)
- Hot Mess by Lucy Vine (Chic-Lit)
- Pharistomy by Peter Haas (Nonfiction)
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang ( BOTM Chic-Lit)
- The Adventuress by Tasha Alexander (Historical Mystery)
- Shifting Atmosphere by Dawna De Silva (Nonfiction)
- The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton (ARC – Historical Fiction)
- A Well Behaved Women by Therese Ann Fowler (ARC – Nonfiction History)
- Uninvited by Lysa Terkeurst (Memoir)
- The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory (ARC Chic Lit)
Taking up Residency:
- The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle (ARC) –Such a great concept of bring to life the question, ” if you could go to dinner with 5 people, dead or alive?”
- Adamant by Lisa Bevere – Book club pick
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab – I finally got on the Darker Shades train, and it’s so good!! I’m not ready to fully dive back into the fantasy genre, but placing a toe or a foot in is okay for me.
- Summer Days and Summer Nights (YA Short Story Collection) – Yep, still on the short story rampage, and it is not slowing down.
- Because You Love to Hate me Short Story Collection – Written from the approach of our favorite villains, I loved every author’s take on redefining what it means to be a villain and if they truly are what we have labeled them as. The addition with the book-tubers commentary at the end of every story was kind of lame, but the story themselves where great!
- Why not Women? by Loren Cunningham & David Joel Hamilton – I don’t have time to go into how this book impacted me but just saying, if you are in ministry or looking to go into ministry read this book!
- An Unhurried Leader by Alan Fadling
- Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg –Hilarious for all bookworms
- Life Lessons from Remarkable Women by Stylist Magazine – YAAAASSSS!!! That’s all.
- Geekerella by Ashley Poston – This book is perfect. It’s everything I would want in a summer beach read, YA romance with nerd vibes are my jam and will always be my jam.
I went through my fair share of short story/essays collections in the past few months strictly since school was killing me, and the thought of reading something that took longer than 5 minutes just wasn’t going to cut it. I needed little bits of something to keep me afloat as I was studying, and God bless the authors that put together those books. Life savers for sure! I am looking forward to sunshine, beach days and diving into my TBR/Coming List over the next month or two. Let me know your go-to books to read when life is too busy to read, and let me know what you are currently loving!!
Hope you all are having a great summer thus far!!