Oh Hello September! It may not feel like it (its in the 80’s right now in California, woof!) but Autumn has begun!! Autumn or Fall is my favorite season for various reasons; the changing of leaves, a crisp feeling in the air, pumpkin and apple everything, my birthday, and the food to name just a few things. Plus September is usually the month that I go on vacation, it has been that way for a while now, whether it is 5 days or 4 weeks, September is the month to travel! Life has been busy as ever with last-minute preparation on my trip, and the things needed for my church’s new building. It is a very exciting time in my life, but that doesn’t stop me from reading; I have an addiction. As for my weekly reading recap, I have also decided to add a little book haul at the bottom of books that I have bought recently, let me know if you have read any of them! Here we go…a look at what I am up to (reading wise) this week:
The Good Shuru by Tracy Slater (Nonfiction, Memoir) – This memoir was stunning! It was a little glimpse of what life is like for a white, Jewish, blond American who married a Japanese entrepreneur and decides to move to Japan to be with him. It is an extraordinary story, and Tracy’s journey is a beautiful one. Will most likely write a post about it. Be on the look out!
Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman (Fiction, Fantasy, YA) Still working on this bad boy, God help me!
The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson (Fiction) A modern take on a classic Shakespeare play ” A Winter’s Tale”. I like that Hogarth Books is taking something that is a bit confusing (Shakespeare), and mixing it with an established authors to create a modern take on his classic tales. I think they have one that Margaret Atwood wrote, so if this is good then I will have to check her’s out.
William Shakespeare’s Star Wars by Ian Doescher (Fiction, Fantasy, Science Fiction) No, that is not a typo. Ian has taken the classic tales of Star Wars and gave it a Shakespearean twist. I am loving it so far! It is hilarious to read, but I have to concentrate as I do when I read Shakespeare.
Um… I am not really sure what do read next. I have a book on Cleopatra I may dive into or I have The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy by Jenny Han that I could read. Hmm.. I am so wrapped up in Shakespeare at the moment that I haven’t thought about what would come after. Oh well.. I will find something I am sure.
OK onto the Book Haul! I am not going to write about each book since that sometimes spoils it for people so I will write the title, the author, and if it seems intriguing then check it out:
- The Girl on the Train; A Novel by Paula Hawkins – Heard a lot about this book, so decided it was time to buy it.
- A Game of Thrones ( A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) by George R.R. Martin – I love the show! Once again, late on the bandwagon on this one. Better late than never!
- Never, Never; Part 1 by Colleen Hoover, Tarryn Fisher – I heard about this book on Rosema’s Blog A Reading Writer Blog. Downloaded the first book of the trilogy, it looks really good!
- Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne – I met her at a YA convention in Los Angeles a few weeks back, and she was so sweet! I couldn’t buy her book at that moment since I bought enough books that day, but happy I finally downloaded it onto my Kindle.
- The Sage of Waterloo: A Tale by Leona Francombe – A tale of the Battle of Waterloo told from the perspective of a rabbit, YEAH I KNOW! Who wouldn’t want to read this book?!?!?! Beyond stoked for this one!
That is it for the Book Haul and What I Read Wednesday for this week! I know it seems like a lot of books in the haul but I went on a book rampage so I have things to read when I am on vacation. I should have enough, plus a few others. If I don’t think I will just have to go to a book store in the UK to find one, I may just do that anyways. (HAHA)
What are you reading this week? Have you read any of the books above? What did you think?
Have a great week everyone!